The December papa page was written with care to avoid referencing any recent political events or religious or cultural happenings specific to December. My hope is to write a December papa page on a more universal collective conscious level.
Ancient calendars had a winter period (now known as January and February) such that December (“decem” is Latin for ten) was originally the tenth month.
In the northern hemisphere, December hosts the shortest day of the year, the winter solstice. Usually that day is December 21st or 22nd. The Mesoamerican long count calendar/2012 phenomenon suggests that this December 21st will be a very significant date. Perhaps the end of the world?
While many argue that the long count calendar misrepresents, some believe, that there could be an apocalypse or maybe a mass transformation of society.
As a bonafide survivor of “Y2K,” I will admittedly put the 2012 phenomenon and all other end of the world prophecy in check. I don’t think the world is ending, but I do think that moon phases and earth cycles are about as real as anything I know, and the shortest day in the last month of the year is probably a worthwhile time to pay attention and reflect during the fewer hours of daylight. Maybe our society will be ripe for the mass transformation picking. I’m more willing to bet that it will be more like any other winter solstice, but just in case here are my top ten list of things to do this 12.21.12
1. Get up early – it’s already a short day.
2. Tell your family how much you love them.
3. Make a top ten list with your kids of favorites from the past year.
4. Take two balloons or balls and draw Earth and Sun and explain solstice to your kids. Google is allowed.
5. Spend family time outside in nature.
6. Eat delicious food
7. Meditate or ponder or reflect or do all three
8. Help someone in need.
9. Go look at the stars with kids since it will be dark early.
10. And finally build a campfire somewhere. Bring something tasty and enjoy singing songs!
Happy Winter Solstice!
Image Credit: Christina DeHoff