The Hawaii Nature Center (HNC) has been serving the Maui community since 1991 with a hands-on, place-based learning approach to educate children and families about Hawaii’s unique and diverse environment. Their educational programs also promote and encourage stewardship and appreciation of our island’s natural resources. “For 29 years we have worked hard to fulfill our mission and provide quality education to the keiki on Maui via school field trips, after school programs, Nature Adventure Camps, volunteer work days, and birthday parties.”
In mid-March, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, HNC shutdown all of these programs. During the following weeks, staff brainstormed creative ideas to continue connecting children and families to nature. This resulted in educational videos that explore many of the topics taught at HNC and can be accessed for free on their YouTube channel.
With the green light to resume operation, HNC is excited to announce that their Nature Adventure Camp sessions will run between June 22nd – July 17th. As more people slowly return to work, and with several summer programs being cancelled, HNC recognizes the need for families who are looking for care options for their children that also demand enrichment opportunities.
As they return to exploring nature, HNC also understands the health concerns the community has in regards to COVID-19. The safety of our keiki and their staff have always been a top priority so they will be implementing enhanced safety measures during camp sessions.
• Washing hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds
• Masks required for staff & children (subject to change depending on DOH & CDC guidelines)
• Daily temperature checks for campers and staff
• Check and enforcement of 14-day quarantine following travel
• Avoiding close contact with others (no high fives, partner hand games, etc.)
• Cleaning and disinfecting frequently touched objects and surfaces throughout the day
• No off-site field trips until further notice
• If a staff member or camper is sick, they will be required to stay home
For more information about camp, scholarships, or to register your child, please visit their website www.hawaiinaturecenter.org. You can also direct any questions or concerns to Maui Program Coordinator, Kapua Chang (email@example.com).
Hawaii Nature Center is located at 875 Iao Valley Rd, Wailuku. 808 244-6500
Image Credit: Hawaii Nature Center