With less time and more calories, the holiday season can add more stress and pounds to the body. Give yourself some slack without the lack of discipline. Sometimes you have to be a bad ass to keep your butt in shape hot mama! That means being just as obligated to yourself as you are to holiday and family events. Make staying fit a priority now! Be grateful and giving to yourself with the time and respect you need. Family, friends, co-workers will admire your dedication and you may even inspire them to do the same!
Here are five fit tips for the holidays to keep you motivated:
- Just say NO to holiday food!
- Take pride in regulating your diet and acknowledging your limits. If you can’t take just one bite, then don’t touch it. Sit on your hands if you have to.
- Be persistent with your family in understanding and respecting your healthy eating habits.
- Fill up on healthy food at home before going to parties.
- Find healthy alternatives to your weaknesses. Remember willpower equals empowerment to make wiser choices.
- Say YES to mommy’s schedule!
- Schedule time for your workouts and make this time NON negotiable. This is mommy’s time!
- Schedule time to try a new sport, activity, class, video, etc. You burn extra calories when your body has to figure out how to do something new. It takes courage to try something new, but you can do it. And you deserve it!
- Wake up 10-15 minutes earlier or block out 10-15 minutes in your day to do a quick set of squats, jumping jacks, stretches, etc. Choose exercises that move multiple and or large body parts.
- Schedule time to relax. Take a bath, sip a cup of tea in silence, get a massage, go for a walk, try yoga or pilates. Less stress equals a more efficient mind and body!
- Make workouts playouts, who needs more work?
- Change your perspective on what workouts have to be. If you don’t think it’s fun you won’t stick to it. Mix it up with Pole Dancing or Stand Up Paddling, whatever requires you to be brave and sounds FUN to you. It will inspire more confidence! Afraid to do it alone? Encourage friends to join you. They will appreciate it!
- Chase, be chased, let your child be your resistance training and cardio workout. Turn trips to the playground or park into your exercise routine. Refer back to some of my past articles in The Mauimama for more ideas.
- Sign up for a charity walk/race and check for Zumbathons. Many gyms and studios on island support local charities during the holiday season with special events. Get a great workout and support a great cause.
- Holiday shopping and cooking is a workout.
- Park further away, take the stairs, walk, dance, and move as much as possible. (Shopping with a toddler is always a workout:)
- Play squatting peek a boo with your child while they are seated in the shopping cart while waiting in line at check out.
- Incorporate more movement into your holiday food preparation routines. Shake while you bake, book it while you cook it! Busting a move and grooving to music can help 🙂 See last years list of funky holiday songs.
- Holiday shopping online? Use a stability ball to sit and do a set of crunches as a reward every time you cross something off your shopping list.
- Make health and fitness a tram effort.
- Choose healthy ways to spend time with family and friends that don’t involve eating or drinking.
- Organize a healthy secret Santa exchange with gift cards for exercise classes, personal training, massage etc.
- Take your baby, toddler, or child to a parent and me class. There’s many to choose from on Maui. Swimming, soccer, yoga, dance, gymnastics, and music.
- Your family is on your team! Move, laugh, and love together. Smiling burns extra calories…and we all know what burns the most calories… wink wink 🙂
Image Credit: Little Love Photography