With August being “Breastfeeding Awareness Month”, I want to share some recipes that help to support and increase lactation. As anyone who has breastfed their child(ren) knows, breastfeeding requires a nutritionally supported diet to keep mom from getting nutritionally depleted and famished. Finding foods that keep moms’ energy levels up and supports baby nutritionally is our goal as nurturing mamas…
The recipes I’ve shared are delicious and sweet without too much sugar. I love to substitute coconut sugar or dates for traditional sweeteners when making healthy treats.
Blueberry Oatmeal Flax Muffins (Yield 12 regular muffins)
• 1 cup old fashioned oats
• 1 cup almond, cashew, hemp or cows milk
• 3 tbsp butter or coconut oil, melted
• 2/3 cup coconut sugar
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 2 eggs
• 1 cup all purpose flour (or gluten-free baking mix)
• 2 tbsp ground flax seed
• 4 tbsp Brewer’s Yeast
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 1 tsp baking soda
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 1 cup fresh blueberries
1. In a large bowl combine oatmeal and milk. Let sit for 15-20 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
3. Grease a muffin tin with butter or cooking spray (if not using muffin liners).
4. After oats have absorbed the milk, add the melted butter, vanilla, coconut sugar, and eggs to the bowl. Stir until well combined, then add rest of dry ingredients, except blueberries.
5. Layer the muffin tins with batter and blueberries – Add a spoonful of batter, top with blueberries, add more batter to fill rest of muffin tin, and top with a few more blueberries. (Layering the muffin tins like this enables the muffins to have strong structured bottoms.)
6. Bake muffins for 15 minutes in regular size pan. They should be golden on top and a toothpick should come out clean.
7. Let cool and ENJOY or deliver to your nearest nursing momma! 🙂
With mango season here, I also had to share this great smoothie recipe. If you are dairy-free, substitute the yogurt and milk for a nut milk. Great for any mama!
Mango Lassi Smoothie 2 Servings
• 1 C fresh or frozen mango
• ½ C yogurt
• 1 C milk
• 1 small banana
• 1 pitted date
• pinch of cinnamon
• pinch of cardamon powder
• 1 T hemp seeds
• ½ tsp ground flax seed
• ½ tsp brewers yeast
Blend and enjoy!
Image Credit: Marta Greenleaf